Monday 5 May 2014

a job!

Happy Monday evening my friends!

 We are heading in to week two of my work placement. It's going really well so far. Ive been given free range when it comes to decorating, which is a little weird and nerve wracking to be honest. In my last job there was not much creative freedom. Things were what they were and you did what was on your production list. Which was perfectly fine, thats just how things were run there.

 At my new place the owner bounces ideas off the bakers and picks our brains to come up with ideas. I was told to decorate some cookies for mothers day and to come up with a design for some cupcakes. She started laughing when I stood there like a deer in headlights. "really?..just do what I want?" "yes! You have creative freedom on this, play around and see what you can come up with." - shocked. I always have so many ideas in my mind, but as soon as she said that my brain went blank. Come on brain! Get your shit together, we have work to do!

 Today I made a peanut butter pie with chocolate ganache, a key lime pie, I did some of the decorating for the other baker and I made royal icing and started outlining my mothers day cookies. While I was making the key lime pie I asked Kate if she added any colour. For some reason customers don't understand that when you make something with limes its not naturally green. The green colour thats in lime anything is added people. Anyways, She said just a tiny little drop because the colour is very intense and concentrated. well duh, I've used gel colours before. The only problem was this was liquid, so I thought "oh its not gel, maybe I can add a touch more..." Shouldn't of added more. I start swirling my tooth pick around the custard and I feel that all to familiar wave of heat hit my cheeks. "umm..shit." Everyone starts laughing and kate says "haha omg!! I told you just a drop!" The other baker looks at me and says "You must be a terrible liar, you are as red as a beet."
 Even if I didn't admit to my toxic green mistake my cheeks would of given me away. In the end the pie didn't look to bad, it didn't turn out as green as I was worried it was going to. Only a drop next time. Lesson learned.

 I sat down with Kate this afternoon and was offered a job! Exciting! She said she is so happy with me, I have a wonderful personality (some people might argue this..) , I get along so well with the rest of the staff and they love having me around. She said I'm very talented in the kitchen and now that I'm here there may be no reason for her to have to do the wedding cakes anymore (AH!..this could be a challenge). We also talked about me going to the markets as she's been accepted in to a few of them.

 I'm also going to do a few shifts up front to make sure I get full time hours. She already has two great bakers and after the insane tourist season is up things get quite slow, so this is necessary if I want hours. I'm perfectly happy doing front of house as well. I feel that working for a small business its important that you know how the whole thing is run from the kitchen, to cash, to serving and bussing dishes. Thats why I wanted to work for a small business, to get the whole experience of owning your own bakery. I'm over the moon excited and I can't wait to see where this leads me!

 Life is so busy right now, but its so wonderfully exciting and new- I say BRING IT ON! Davin opens his store on May 8th. I've seen him for less than 4 hours in the last 4 days, he's giving this new store everything he has and I hope it pays off. He loves this company. People in this town seem to be excited about it. Lets see how opening day goes! Go SportChek!

 Life here so far has been pretty good. The weather is absolute crap and I'm still itching to get out in the kayak! I was whacking around some golf balls the other day, gotta get ready to go golfing with the aunts!
 The only upside the city has to the country. No ticks. I don't get overly grossed out by bugs, but ticks.. I just lose my mind and they are everywhere here! *shudder*. If I ever get one on me you may hear my screams back in halifax. ick.

 Anywho I think thats the quick jist of whats happening here with me. Just wanted to share my exciting news!

 Have a wonderful tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment