Tuesday 29 April 2014

Life on the other side

Hello there!

 This is going to be a few posts in one.

 First about our very last day. Cleaning the lab, our final written test and food!

 On our very last day of school we had to clean the lab and decoration room. People were all ready on top of cleaning the lab so I moved in to the decoration room and started to work in there on my own. I knew we were messy when we tempered chocolate...but how did we manage to get it underneath the tables? and on a heat lamp? and so far up the wall I had to get a step stool to reach it? That my friends  is the talent of the pastry chef student.

 After a few hours that place was sparkling clean. yay! Then we had our last test of the year on frozen desserts. I've been studying for this for 3 weeks. Got the test in my hand, scribbled my name on it..doing good so far. Read first question. Brain gets up and leaves. Crap. haha.

 One of the questions was "What is a machine that makes ice cream called." - *shifty eyes* 'This is a trick question. It can't be Ice cream maker...thats to simple. But that is what it is. '
..I looked around the room and it was so easy to tell who was on that question because they were also looking around the room making "What the hell?!" hand gestures and looking just as confused as I was. Such a simple question. The answer? Ice cream machine or Batch freezer. Got it right! Score! It was the very last day, my brain was no where to be found, trick questions are not okay.

 After the test we made pizza! hell yeah! Chef made the dough for us. We built our pizza and there was salad and drinks (wine, beer, pop) - I love school.

 Oh! Leona asked him how we all did on our black forest cakes. He said everyone did really well. Then she asked who had the best one. Chef said "Ashley did". I nearly crapped my pants! I DID IT! The last project that I spent so long on, planning and figuring out flavours and textures. All that work paid off. I am so proud of myself!

Jean lic making us pizza

11 am is not to early for wine! 

My beautiful classmates enjoying lunch...april a little to much  haha!

Leona and myself :) 

 It was a good last day. Hard to leave the school. It felt really weird. For 8 months my life revolved around that school and now...nothing.

Chef Jean-Luc and myself. 


 One of the best teachers is in that picture. How he's been teaching for so long and still have his sanity is beyond me. Some days we were brutal, I know I had my days. Luckily I rarely got yelled at. When he did yell I usually laughed at him or told him to keep it down. Great sense of humour. I learned a lot and I'm very grateful for his time and expertise. 

 Now new things! 

 We are down in bridgewater now. I'm actually loving it so far. Once it warms up I know I will love it even more (KAYAKING!). I have started my work placement. I'm liking it so far. Didn't do any baking my first day. She actually forgot I was starting on monday...thought it was the next week. Surprise! haha. 
 On my first day I did inventory to get to know the products and where everything in the store is located. I cut out 96 parchment circles for the cake pans, and I re typed some recipes that I would be doing. I was ready to get in that kitchen! 

 Today I got to make some fillings and icings. I made shortbread pie dough (vanilla and chocolate), I made chocolate syrup, I made lemon curd...sort of. More on that later. I made caramel sauce, more on that later. I made espresso shortbread. Tomorrow I will be making butter creams. mmm. 

 If you have been following my blog you may remember my hate for lemon curd. I had trouble with it in school..something always went wrong. Pain in the ass. Today I followed their recipe. Did it work? No. It just wouldn't come together and gel. Kate told me to fix it...crapping my pants I searched my brain on ways to fix it... and I did. I'm surprising myself lately. That last school project really boosted my confidence, thank god. 

 Then Kate and the other baker were talking about their caramel sauce and why it doesn't taste good. Its all crystallized and separated. She asked me how I think we can fix it. And I fixed it! I pointed out what they were doing wrong and showed them how to make it properly. When she tried it she said "PERFECT! smooth, buttery exactly what it should be! really well done! Thank you." - huge sigh of relief! I did it!! Day two and I impressed her with my skills. Lets hope by the end of the 5 weeks I end up with some sort of job. 

 My day is done by 3pm (awesome!) so I was able to come home today and go outside to enjoy the sun with some super cute pups! 

Finnegan and Casey

Look at that handsome boy

My new home. How pretty is that!?


Life is going well! I'm calm and happy and doing what I love to do. Could not ask for more right now (expect maybe some sunshine and double digits - come on mother nature!) 

 Have a wonderful night! 

No comments:

Post a Comment