Wednesday 16 April 2014

Decor day!

Hello there,

 Today was a lovely last day before Easter break. I got to spend my day in the decor room playing with sugar!
 Today was the first time I tried my hand at blown sugar. It's a lot harder than it looks. Holy smokes. The other two people in my group had done it before, so I was the rookie. Together we are making an under water theme. It's going to look so pretty.

 First we made three colors of isomalt. I made clear, Leona made white and Sara made yellow. First we took the clear and made bubbles. I made bubbles that had sides. That is skill right there, square bubbles lol. I made a few good ones. The trick is getting the sugar to cool while still keeping it warm so you can cut the bubble off the little pump.

 Next we made sea shells. Oh.my.god. Chef made one and of course made it look so easy. I tried  to make one...check this out...


...that.my.seashell. BUAHAHAHAHAHA!

Omg I was standing in front of the fan trying to cool it down and just laughing at the phallic looking piece of sugar that I'm trying to pass off as my seashell. Chef walks in, and I turn my back to him while I'm still laughing. He says "so how are we doing in here?" ..I turn. And present my shell. He starts laughing and shakes his head. Time to melt this down and try again.

 With Leona's help I eventually get one shell made. Thank The Lord.




Add caption

Much better than the other times I tried. We are going to be melting out the back of it so you can see the twisting on the inside. It will look really nice. 

 Next we made fish bodies. These weren't to hard. I was able to make a few of these. We will be making the fins the next time we are in the kitchen. 

 





Next we made a huge batch of isomalt for our poured sugar, bases and some cool blue sugar that we poured in to sugar. It's a neat way to make cool shapes. You pour it around the sugar, wait five minutes for it to set a bit, then you start shaping it with your fingers to plump up. I loved doing this. 













 I'll post pictures once it's completely done.

 Did you know that when you're blowing sugar it can pop like a balloon? I didn't know that either. I do now. Haha. I almost hit the floor when I did it!


 Now I'm free until Tuesday! When we go back on Tuesday we have our last project. We are making our interpretation of a Black Forest cake. Looking forward to it!

I hope you all have a beautiful wonderful Easter with your families. I know I will.













No comments:

Post a Comment