Monday 2 December 2013

Monday in the kitchen

Happy Monday!

 Today was changed around a bit. We usually have all classroom stuff on mondays, but today we were in the kitchen. Totally fine with that.

 We did have to go to the classroom to write our Theory test. salt and cornstarch - hazaa! My weekend was quite busy so I didn't get much studying done so I was confidant in this test. I think I aced it! It was super easy - which worries me a little bit haha. Ever done a test that was surprisingly  easy but when you get it back you have failed it. Let's just hope thats not me. I'm finding I'm getting better at understanding all the information I'm given. That might sound weird, but I've always had to study very very hard and over and over to get something to stick. Everything we are learning, it's all starting to click and it feels so good. I'm slowly gaining confidence in my abilities and my smarts. Love it.

 We didn't do much today we all had to be done by 11:30. Chef had lots of stuff to do today with his second year culinary students. We made a caramel cream (so so good) and we layered it with our hazelnut cake and put that in the freezer to set. We made a berry compote for our cheesecakes. The recipe called for mixed berries but I'm not a fan of mixed berries so I did all blueberries. Blueberry compote on cheesecake - hell yeah!

Blueberry compote

I wanted to eat it with a spoon..




 We also made cracklin. Looooooove cracklin! You melt down your glucose, sugar and water then add your sliced almonds to it and spread it on to parchment. You put it in the oven until its golden brown and then while its still hot you cut it in to squares. We are going to be putting these around one of the cakes we are doing. It will look lovely! I was actually very pleased with myself - they actually look like squares! They look like evenly shaped squares. *pat on the back*






We are getting excited to work on our Christmas buffet things. I am so excited to see how my chocolates turn out. Lots of pictures will be on here after we present it. We had an elderly lady approach us today while we were on break. She told us to get back in the kitchen and work on that food haha. She said she's very excited to eat all our sweets on Wednesday. It was sweet. Our turn isn't until Thursday, hopefully lots of people come.

 I can't believe it's december already! Time is flying and Christmas will be here before you know it. Things are starting to get very very busy. I just need to get through my communication project and this buffet and I think I will be fine. I can start focusing on christmas baking and stuff. Haven't even started on the christmas cards (groan) - I'm so behind.

Have a lovely evening!


No comments:

Post a Comment