Tuesday 3 December 2013

prep prep prep prep

Good evening,

 Today was a day filled with decorating cakes and cheesecakes. I loved it! I need to thank my old job at Susie's for all the practice icing cakes. I'm not confidant with many things, but icing a cake is one thing I can do.

 I also had to make chantilly cream today. Never made it before. Chef said "what is chantilly cream?" "umm, whipping cream sweetened with vanilla??" - I was close. It's whipping cream with icing sugar AND vanilla. Sounds super fancy, super simple to make!

 The first cake we did was our cheesecakes. It turned out really well! We piped some rosettes around it and put some chocolate cigars on it with my blueberry compote. We brought them out in to the cafeteria and mine sold pretty quickly! Super pumped!

My two cheesecakes. I like the one on the left best.


We also made a carrot cake! I loved how my carrot cake turned out. I had to practice piping my carrots on the table before I even touched my cake. They were looking more like little orange penises. Phallic carrots. Yum. Luckily, with some practice they looked more like carrots. The cream cheese frosting was delicious! Carrot cake is certainly growing on me.




The next thing we finished up was our hazelnut cake with caramel cream filling. We covered them with the chantilly cream and we also got to make some fun caramel dipped hazelnuts! To do the hazelnuts we needed to put them on the end of a toothpick. There should be a "possible death" warning when it comes to doing this task. First Sara stabbed herself, while she was cleaning up her blood, Jessica stabbed her thumb. I take over the task and while I'm laughing and shaking my head at the clumsy girls the hazelnut breaks and I stab my thumb! haha. Karma. We are all around the sink cleaning off our thumbs and Chef sees us and says "are all three of you hurt!? Seriously!?" haha! He found it so funny. So did we though. It hurt like a bitch, but it was funny.


aren't they pretty!?


Very proud of my cake!

At the end of the day my group stayed to get a jump start on our buffet stuff. I got to play with some isomolt! yay!! I tried my hand at making candy canes. Unfortunately we can't eat them, but they look so pretty! Not bad for my first time ever attempting it!  Hopefully the group can use them to decorate their cakes and goodies. :)

Isomalt candy cane decorations.






I'm very excited to see everything that we come up with for the buffet! Lots of pictures to come.
Have a great evening! 

No comments:

Post a Comment