Monday 2 December 2013

Starting to get busy!



Hello!

 Last week we finished our rotation in Veinoisserie. I love that rotation. You get to do a lot of individual things like cookies, cakes, pastry. Just awesome. We also finished our whole recipe booklet a day before hand so we got to make extra things! We made macarons and madeleines. We also made some lemon squares. I'm just starting to come around on Lemon, It can be hit or miss with me. These were a miss. So lemony...not a fan. When Chef saw the look on my face after a took a bite he come over and tried one. I think he was worried I screwed it up. lol. I made them right, I just hate lemon.

Lemon bars! 



 The madeleines didn't work out for me. The pan Chef had was super old and metal and sort of rusted. The biggest problem was the fact that the bottom oven got turned off just before I put them in.
Chef went over and turned the oven on for me, then came back to show me how to pipe it in to the molds. I put them in the oven and when I went back to check on them they were still raw. So I called Chef over and he said to just leave it for a bit longer. So 5 minutes pass and I go back over and they are still raw...slightly cooked, but still raw. I call him over again and his face drops "someone turned the god damn oven off!" So I quickly transferred them to the top oven, but by then it was to late. They were just dead and not going to work. I think Jean-Luc could see the disappointment in my face (I was so excited to make these) he told me it wasn't my fault. The pan was shit and the oven didn't help. Everyone else piped theirs in to cupcake pans and they turned out great. I'm going to bring my silicone mold and try that. Hopefully it works for me.

 Next we made macarons! I've never made these before, so this was exciting. We teamed up to make them (we didn't need hundreds of them apparently) Leona and Jessica made strawberry filling while myself and Sara made blackberry. The filling was so so so good. Chef was trying to make it work for us but we didn't have any instant gelatine so the filling didn't set up as well as it should have. When we whipped it, it should of became fluffy and airy but it sort of broke down and was a little watery and loose. Still tasted great though. We also coloured our macarons.
 TIP: When you are colouring macarons make the colour very dark to begin with. Once you add your meringue you lose a lot of colour. Our purple didn't turn out as dark as we wanted, but it was still lovely in the end. Not bad for a first time!


Fresh out of the oven and cooling

Our "purple" ones. See my snail I made!? haha

Invasion of the macaron snail. 

Our finished product. 

 We also made apple turnovers with our puff pastry. SO.GOOD. I even took pictures of my puff pastry while I was rolling it out so you could see all the butter thats in it. I am so excited to get in to a bakery and do this for a living. I will have the best job ever!


See all that amazing butter?

Three cheers for puff pastry!



Apple turnovers ready for the oven! 

mmmm

Not bad for a first timer! 


So many yummy treats. I hear the gym calling my name...

Have a wonderful evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment