Wednesday 27 November 2013

Mutant carrots!

Hello! 

 This is a split entry blog, I missed yesterday. So sorry. I had a take home test to do and my recipes and then I fell asleep, then grocery shopping (10% off student night!) 

Anyways, I am loving this Veinoisserie rotation. It's really enjoyable. Muffins, puff pastry, cakes, brownies, cookies, banana cake. so yummy. This is the rotation that I eat the most...It's a very bad thing, but so yummy. 

 Yesterday we made oatmeal and chocolate indulgence cookies. The oatmeal cookies were to die for. Absolutely loved them. I need to make oatmeal raisin for my dad, his favourite. We also made carrot muffins. These I loved because they didn't have pineapple in them. We put coconut and bran, really really yummy. I was on the task of the carrots while everyone else gathered all the other ingredients. Chef took me down the the culinary walk in fridge and we had a good laugh at the size of the carrots. These are not your everyday carrots, these carrots look like they have been grown in toxic waste. Absolutely huge, and yes I do have a picture. MASSIVE! Chef joked that he could knock someone out with a carrot this size - at least I think it was a joke ;) 

Carrot next to my peeler
Hand meet carrot..
See! Massive right!? No vegetable should ever be this large. I must say though, the large carrots made for quick shredding, 3 carrots and we had enough for 5 of us to make all our muffins. 





























The muffins were delicious! Davin is not a carrot person and vows that he hates carrot anything. I forced the first bite on him, he then had two additional bites all by himself. Very proud of my carrot hating man. baby steps lol. 









Lovely carrot muffins. mm


We also may of had a little misstep. 95% of our muffins all went in to the same part of the deck oven (there are 4 levels) ...we may of left some of them in the bottom oven for a few hours. We were all cleaned up and Chef bent down to take something out of the bottom oven. I started laughing when he was standing there holding these burnt muffins. He didn't say anything, he just stood there. I didn't say anything, I just laughed. I was actually really impressed that they weren't more burnt, they were in there for a long time lol. Oh well! Lesson learned, check all the ovens, don't assume everyone got everything out.  

Just a tad over cooked lol.
It was a good day over all. Lots of laughs with my awesome group. Fun times. 

Wednesday: 

Today we got lots done! We are ahead of the game and will be getting some new recipes to do tomorrow. Very excited!! 

 Today we finished folding our puff pastry. Single fold, double fold, single fold, double fold. Laminated doughs are "fun". There is so much work and time that goes in to these doughs! 
We also covered our banana cake with ganache, we covered our brownies with ganache and white chocolate and made a little designs on them. We made a lemon tart. We also made our apple compote which we will use tomorrow for our turnovers with the puff pastry. We also made a chocolate hazelnut cake with orange. We made lots of goodies today! 

 In the beginning of december we will be doing a Christmas lunch buffet. Chef is being very hard on us in the creativity department. We have groups of 6 and we have a list of items that have to be presented at the buffet. We each are in charge of two items. We need to come up with our own flavours and presentation. Mostly every idea we came up with Chef said "BORING!" 
 He's been teaching for 20 years, so yeah he's probably seen a lot of the same ideas. They aren't boring to me/us. We are just starting to crack our little imaginations open. Learning about flavour combos, and fancy design. It's hard. I'm in charge of doing a coffee cake and a dipped chocolate. We will be fully graded on everything and need to present our products at the buffet. Nerves! Stay tuned for the stories on that. 

A great few days in the kitchen overall. Have a lovely evening my friends. For those of you who are in the middle of this storm, stay dry! It's nasty out there. 

Ganache covered banana cake. 

My hazelnut chocolate cake

I found the only none hotspot in the oven...

 Oh! Here is a link to the article about the chocolate affaire! I'm in it! :) proud. 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment