Tuesday 5 November 2013

Rotations, Round 2!

Good Tuesday Evening!

 I didn't post yesterday mostly because I had nothing to post about. It was a typical Monday, go to class, complain about mondays and come home and nap. Not much of a Blog entry.

 We started talking about chocolate in Theory. We got to sample lots of goodies from all over the world. He had us taste fake chocolate and real chocolate. The Boulanger people said the fake was the real stuff and Pastry said the real was the real. We got it right! I knew as soon as I put that fake stuff in my mouth, It didn't melt and it tasted like wax. Really really disgusting.

 I am proud to announce that I am now a chocolate snob! I am very picky about the chocolate that I eat. If Its not good quality, don't bother giving it to me. I probably won't eat it...and I say probably because you never know when you are having a rough day (or some serious PMS) and this is the only option. I might not be happy eating it, but I might.

 I got my fats and oils test back from last week...not.so.good. It's my lowest mark yet. I am not happy and need to do a better job of staying on top of reading my notes. Lesson learned, I CAN NOT study the night before and remember everything. Bravo to those who can.

 We had to go back to computers yesterday to do another exemption test. I ended up snapping my pen in half, throwing it at the computer screen and crumpling up my paper. lol. I got a little frustrated. In the end I passed. The test was so simple It was hard. I was way over thinking it. But I now have 3 wonderful weeks without computers so I can take a breath.

 Today we started in our new groups. First day was a success! It was a slow day though, all we made were chocolate butterflies. We were suppose to make covered almonds but the blanched almonds didn't come in time. So we are going to do those first thing tomorrow.

 The butterflies are absolutely beautiful! I'm so in love with them! I was dreading being in the chocolate room because I didn't want to have to temper chocolate a million times to get one thing accomplished. Chef came in and got out what looked like a big fondu pot. I asked him what that was and he said "a tempering machine! You have been upgraded!" "YAY!!!! Thank god!" "You have been upgraded from tempering by hand (we still have to initially do it by hand, but once we put it in this machine we don't have to do it again)  to this piece of shit machine, once you get really good you can use the good one hahaha" - I don't even care if its a piece of shit machine. It worked and it made our day so enjoyable! Bring on tomorrow! We get to make a chocolate box with a bow tomorrow. I'm going to go ahead and assume that we will be putting our covered almonds in it.

 We got to put some cheesecake plates together for the cafeteria. Love plating. We cleaned up and Sara, Leona and I headed for the gym. Treadmills are so dang boring. I was just jumping from machine to machine. I can't stay focused long enough at the gym to see any real results. I have the attention span of a gold fish - 30 seconds max. I do need to drop some weight though...pastry school is getting rough on the waist line. They warned us it would. But as one of the Boulanger girls put it "I would rather be fat and happy than skinny and miserable!" AMEN! haha. I want a balance. I love my sweets but I fully understand and value nutrition. Its a hard thing to balance.

I have many recipes to type up, resumes and cover letters to work on and a paper to write. So behind.

Enjoy a million pictures of my butterflies!! :)

Good night you beautiful people!

Just piped the boarder

All filled in, just waiting for them to set

Not quite sure how pretty they would be from this side...

THEY ARE BEAUTIFUL!! Just piped the body




My white and blue

My blue and white! 

No comments:

Post a Comment