Saturday 23 November 2013

Christmas is in the air!

Greetings peeps,

 This week was a long but busy one. We started our Vienissorie rotation and are making all kinds of yummy goodies. We are currently two days behind in this rotation, firstly because we had to make some christmas cakes, secondly because Chef was sick on Friday.

 Making the cakes was fun, frustrating and challenging. I worked with my friend Sara, there was some butting heads when it came to deciding on a theme and colours but we worked it out and came out with a simple but very cute design (I think so anyways!)

 We made green isomalt trees, a white isomalt base and some pulled sugar garland that got wrapped around the trees. We lined it with marzipan snowballs and covered it with light blue fondant. We also each made a little marzipan figure to go with it. Coming up with the ideas took the longest. We had originally wanted to make pulled sugar christmas lights...mine came out looking like Mike n Ike candies. So we scraped that idea as well as many ideas after that.

 Everyone in the class did a really great job on their cakes. It's fun to get to see peoples talents when it comes to cakes. I don't have much of an interest in having a career in cake decorating, some people in that class could open their own business in cake decorating, really talented. Hopefully they can raise a good amount of money with pieces of art.
 OH! speaking of raising money, remember that chocolate affaire that we did? they raised over 40,000 dollars! Thats so awesome! Feels so good to be part of something like that.

 That was our day on Thursday. In and out. LOOOOVE IT.

 Friday we got to school at 7am to be told that Jean-Luc is sick and there are no classes. Could. of. slept. in. oh well! We decided to practice some chocolate piping to get ready for the piping test soon. I piped one line and quit. lol. I was so not feeling it. I went up to the library to work on re typing my recipes. Got quite a bit done..still so much to do. I think at one point I was laying back in the chair just staring at the ceiling and talking to myself...
 It was Friday and I was so checked out. I couldn't do anymore work. Come on Christmas vacation! I NEED you!

 This weekend I tried my hand at making homemade SKOR bars! I kinda sorta scorched it a little...I'm praying it doesn't have a bitter taste. I used a whole brick of butter! those things are expensive. So, burnt or not we will be eating it lol. To expensive to throw away. I'm sure once I cover them in chocolate you won't even be able to tell ;)

 Now, time for me to go type up some more recipes. It's a never ending task.

Enjoy my million pics of our cake!

Home made english toffee! 

sticking snowballs on

Look at that concentration...


Trying to figure out what to add to it..snow flakes?..no.

Colors! 

Completed! 


Saras cute turtle

My penguin

Teammates! 



No comments:

Post a Comment