Thursday 14 November 2013

Good day in breads!

Greetings!

 Today was a great day in breads. Thank goodness! Today we made Red wine bread, Challah, sour dough and our white and whole wheat rolls. oh, and pastry cream...oh! and brioche dough. I think thats it..

I had big hopes for the red wine bread. It smelled so so good and had sautéed onions with crushed walnuts in it as well. I had a roll with dinner and wasn't blown away. It was fun to make but not something I think I could reproduce at home because I don't have a steam injector in my oven. poopies.

 The Challah bread was fun to make and looked beautiful when we were done with it. There is something about being able to braid bread that makes you feel like your making something that shouldn't be allowed to be eaten. I love braiding bread. Thank you girl guides for teaching me how to braid! Girl Guides - Learning life skills such as braiding. awesome.

 Making the sour dough was interesting. We had to use the sour goo we made yesterday. It looked like boogers. White slimy boogers. Still want to eat sour dough? I do! I always find it interesting when you have a dough like sour dough and you try to roll it out. It is so bouncy and so full of air it like trying to roll out a pillow. It's really amazing. We got to use our bakers blades today as well. They look like little shovels but the shovel part is a blade and you get to slice (super quickly!) the bread. It's awesome. Slice slice slice.

 Chef is also secretly teaching us a lesson in bread. On the recipe he is putting the wrong amounts of liquids. He wants us to learn how our doughs are suppose to feel, he doesn't want us to just follow a recipe. We were wondering why our doughs were so dry - I thought I was doing something wrong! It's a good lesson. You need your dough to be wet enough to combine everything, but not so wet you need to add more flour. I'm confidant that I know the texture that bread is suppose to be now. Thanks Jean-Luc!

 We had our rolls out to the dining room on time today, so there were no fights about that with the tourism people. Score. There was less confusion and things moved along smoothly. Felt good.

 I missed some of the things going in to and out of the oven today because I was up getting my flu shot. Took a little longer than it should of because I had a little reaction and had to take an allergy pill, so because of that I needed to stay for half an hour so they could keep their eye on me. Something as simple as a flu shot - not for me. lol. The pharmacists were super nice and took very good care of me.

 All my pictures today are compliments of Sara. I didn't end up getting a single picture so I asked to borrow hers.

Our beautiful sour dough

Challah!  
Red wine bread. 

No comments:

Post a Comment