Tuesday 19 November 2013

"done by 11:30 or your going to lose points" eek!

Hello all,

 Today was our last day in Breads. (Thank goodness) I like making bread, but this rotation having to move so fast and not really knowing what you're doing, makes for a confusing and frustrating 4 days. Chef came over this morning to tell us what we would be working on. He said "You are doing 6 recipes, and I want all the doughs done and everything baked by 11:30 or I'm going to take points away." We all stood there like a deer in headlights. He can't be serious? It's already 8am! I looked at him and said "you're kidding, right?" "Do I look like I'm kidding? I'm completely serious. Now, get started." Cripes!

 We each picked a dough and got to work. I did Challah and sour dough. Went off without a hitch until I walked back to the mixer to get my sour dough. It was covered in grease! mixer grease. No idea how that happened. So I showed Jean-Luc and he just said to chuck it out. Not my fault, phew. I just had to make white rolls so we had something to give to the diners in the restaurant.

  We also had to torte and fill things that we had made last week. I am very happy to say my group was awesome and we got everything done on time! Mind you we didn't take our break, if we had taken our break we would of just been shooting ourselves in the foot. Chef came over and told us to go on break and I said "No. I'm going to keep working...we can't take a break." I do much better when I can find a rhythm and keep it going. Food will come later.

 Sara and I also baked our Genoise cake. We have to team up and create a christmas cake that will be sold for auction to help raise money for something. I don't remember what the event is called, but I'm very excited to make a cake! Chef helped us plan our cake, I had so many ideas I couldn't focus on just one. We also really wanted to do some pulled sugar, so that will hopefully make it on to the cake as well. We only have a few hours thursday morning to pull this off and get everything together and decorated. no pressure. We shall see how it turns out!

 Tonight I tried to make something out of a candy book I borrowed from the school library. I'm following her blog as well if you want to check it out. She's very good. SugarHero is the blog. I wanted to make fruit chews, I missed my 118C temp and got to 120C - Not chewy anymore! poop. Oh well live and learn, I'll try again another time. I need to take it off the heat at 116, sugar cooks very quickly so hopeful by the time I'm ready to dump it out it will be below 120.

 Still loving pastry school. Looking forward to my christmas break where I can bake things at my own slow pace and really enjoy it.

 Have a wonderful evening.


Brioche with bavarian cream and strudel on top! mm


Trying my hand at chewy candies! 
Grape! 

No comments:

Post a Comment