Monday 11 November 2013

Remembrance Day long weekend.

It's Remembrance Day. A Day when everyone stops to think about how very lucky we are here in Canada. We think about all the amazingly brave men and women who have and who continue to sacrifice for us. I also think about the families of those solders, they also sacrifice - a lot. Thank you to all of them.

 I have been lucky enough to have 4 days off. No school. No work. It's been heaven! Friday we had a PD day at the college, and today, of course is remembrance day.

 I would like to say that I got a lot accomplished. I got stuff done...but a lot? Don't think so. Sometimes you just need to say "screw it. I'm watching movies and sleeping today." Which is what Friday was. I did get cleaning done and I got all the winter gear out and the summer stuff put away. Flip Flops are no longer acceptable to wear outside :(

 I also organized my disaster of a baking cupboard. I was scared for my life every time I opened it. Now I fling both doors open while singing! Glorious!

 By the time Davin got home from work Saturday evening I was scratching at the windows to get outside. So he humoured me and we went to look at Christmas stuff. I did not want to go look at these things....I always give in to him when It comes to Christmas. He's giddy like a child, who am I to deprive him of that joy? Although, I will share that words were exchanged when he said "Once we get a house we will have all these inflatable characters on our lawn! totally decked out." "...."
 I don't friggen think so buddy. We came to a compromise.

 Sunday we spent 6 hours Christmas shopping! I bought two things and Davin bought some lights for the Christmas tree. Last year we only bought white ones, and we didn't quite have enough - It didn't look very nice. So this year we have over 60 feet of coloured lights! This I'm excited to see lol.

 I also got my bake on this weekend. Davin has been whining and complaining ever since his chocolate chip bricks..I mean cookies..didn't turn out. He tried. A+ for effort. He said I owed him cookies. So I delivered. I also made extra dough, scooped it in to portions and froze them. This way when he wants a cookie he can just bake one.

 I didn't have any baking powder when I went to make them. No problem! I made some! For anyone who runs in to this problem here is what you need to do. All baking powder is made of is, Cornstarch, baking soda and cream of tarter.

Mix together:
1/2 tsp cream of tarter
1/4 tsp of baking soda
1/4 tsp of cornstarch.
Bam! Baking powder.

I doubled this recipe and got about 8g of baking powder. This recipe is from McCormick, cream of tarter bottle. So if you ever forget, but have some cream of tarter in your cupboard just check out the side of the label!

Oh. I've yet to talk about my school day on thursday!

 We made Pate de fruit? It like a homemade gummy. Ever eaten those fruit shape jelly candies that are rolled in sugar? Thats what this is. I loved it. Can't wait to make more. We also finished our covered almonds. We made some with icing sugar and some with cocoa powder. I tasted both of them (several times..) and they are both amazing. Very addictive. Can't wait to get back in to that kitchen tomorrow. Last day of the decor room for our group. Wednesday we start in Breads. yay? I'll let you know how that goes.

 I could ramble on about all the little things that have gone on in my 4 days off. I fed some ducks, then pulled a strangers dog out of the pond when it decided it was also a duck and jumped in, but couldn't get back out.
 I played PS3 with Davin. We make a great team in life...not in nintendo. Enough said.

He is now making dinner so I am off!

Good night beautiful people!

All nice and clean! The top looks more unorganized than it is. 

Cocoa covered almonds

Icing sugar

Want some?

Yea..you do..

4 comments:

  1. I'd say, considering you'd be shot by a gamer for calling a PlayStation a Nintendo, 2 completely different companies. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it is. I call every system "nintendo" - Its all the same to me.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you Kaitlynn! :) Thanks for reading!

      Delete