Monday 18 November 2013

Catching up!

Hello peeps,

 I missed writing Friday (as I usually do) my group got out late. Trying to make bread with a broken proofer - well..it takes like 3 times as long as it normally should plus we are a little slow. We are boiling water in pots and putting the pot in the bottom of the proofer to create some heat and moisture...come on NSCC we need a new one! Go figure it would be broken for our rotation. oh well, what can ya do? As Chef says "Life's a bitch and then you die..get over it." haha.

 On Friday we made lots of yummy things. We made honey pecan sticky buns, streusel, bee sting mix, and more sour dough!

 I enjoy making sour dough, it's a beautiful bread and a glorious dough. Chef gave us each a loaf to take home and Davin is loving it. He wants me to attempt to make it at home and i said "absolutely! You just find a way to buy me a steam injecting deck oven and I will absolutely make it for you." I'm sure I could find a way to make it at home, but I just know it would be no where as good as when I made it at school. That seems to be a theme with me..rocked it at school...meh at home.

 The honey pecan sticky buns were fun to make. Just like cinnamon buns except you put your honey and sugar syrup in the bottom of the baking cups before hand. I think I would like to make these in one big pan so there is double the sticky goodness. When mine were done we needed to flip them out on to a baking sheet right away before they cooled. The pain and agony! Liquid lava sugar and steam. My classmates must of got sick of listening to me say "OW! DAMN IT!" every time I flipped one of these over with my hands, one of them went and got me two spoons and showed me how to do it without ever touching them. Brilliant! Chef came over when he saw me doing this, mumbled something about how I'm a wuss and helped me flipped them over. Even he was flinching from the pain of the hot sugar. He said we need to toughen up our fingers by holding hot things. pppsh, I have delicate little fingers and I like it that way!

 Next we made the streusel with the brioche dough, we rolled them out, put crumble on top and baked them. We are going to cut these in half and fill them with pasty cream. Dangerous. Can't wait to try one of these bad boys! mmmmm

 Next we used our other bin of brioche for the bee stings. These I did not like. I really really hate honey and these were just coated in honey and almonds. Looked amazing...
I took a few little pieces to Davin at work, he's a huge honey lover. He really really liked them. People were giggling at me because while we were boiling our honey I was gagging. Blurg. No thanks.

 While we were waiting for our sour doughs to bake we were able to chat with Chef about our work placements. I'm very excited and also scared shitless about going on a work term. I don't want to let anyone down or make a fool out of myself. I know where I want to apply, I just need to hope they take students! I know they have some of jean-lucs graduates working there..so I'm hopeful.

 When our loafs finally came out of the oven it was my turn to "toughen up my fingers" so I started grabbing the loafs and transferring them to the cooling racks, chef is also helping. I look at how Chef is doing it and I stop. He is using the insides of his index fingers to hold them! Not the tips of his fingers. I look at him and say "wait..you're using the insides of your fingers!" "well yeah, the tips of your fingers are sensitive, that hurts." I stare at him and say "yeah, no shit!" haha! He starts laughing. I ask him when he was going to share this little tid bit of information with us. His response? "oh, I don't usually whip those tips out until second semester." "That is cruel and mean Jean-Luc!" "watching you all flail around is funny, I want to see who can figure it out on their own." LOL! Always a fun time in class. Chef makes every day really fun, even if you are burning the crap out of your fingers.

 Today we had our chocolate test, I'm confidant that I did pretty well. We shall find out next week.

Thats all for now!

Take care lovely people.
Sticky buns getting all set up! mmm

Ready for the oven 

Fresh out of the oven. Don't worry I ate the broken one. 

Bee Stings

Beautiful Bee stings! 

No comments:

Post a Comment