Tuesday 7 January 2014

Ice cream..mmmm

Happy Tuesday,

 It's absolutely freezing here, which is making me very cranky. -22 and very windy makes me wish for summer.

 This morning it was pouring, and on our way over to school we got stuck on the mackay bridge. I have no problem crossing a bridge thats suspended over water, I'm also not afraid of heights...but when I'm stopped in the middle of the bridge with high winds and rain and I can feel the bridge moving - well lets just say I panicked. A little screaming and little jumping around in my seat and constantly saying "omg go..go...go...move!!" It's very unnerving. Luckily I survived this ordeal and made it to school.

 Today our new group started in Restaurant. I got mad because the dining room is closed for the week, so once again I will not get the opportunity to do any plating. Very disappointing. I complained to Chef and he said "yeah, sucks to be you." Then he laughed at me. And I said "No, it sucks to be YOU because now you have to listen to me complain for the week." haha.  He laughed again and said "you put things on a plate and I yell at you that you are doing it wrong and doing it too slowly, Do you want that?" "YES! yes I want that. It would complete my life." - He rolled his eyes at me. LOL!
 I might get out of pastry school without getting a chance to do a dinner service - not a happy camper.

 We did lots of prep today, sauces, bases etc. We made coconut ice cream (I'm very excited for this!) and we also made cream cheese ice cream (....meh..) So those will go in to the ice cream machines tomorrow. Can't wait! We made syrups that will go with a dessert that has fruit and chantilly cream. I made a blueberry compote. We made poached pears. We made this weird stuff called....called...Okay I don't remember what it's called. We boiled glucose and fondant (not the stuff you cover a cake in) and then when it got to 150 degrees we added white chocolate, stirred it until it all melted together then spread it out on a tray. So its like candied chocolate..but not really. I'm not sure how I feel about it or what we are using it for. It's interesting. We made ginger bread and we made a base for french toast. We will be combining those and making gingerbread french toast!

 Myself and one of my group members were at the stove cooking and chatting and Chef came up beside me and just started talking and scared the shit out of me! I screamed, which scared Des which scared Chef who yelled "JESUS CHRIST ASHLEY!" buahaha! "well don't sneak up behind me!! You scared the crap out of me!"  - When I looked behind me the whole class was quiet and was looking at me. Lesson..Don't walk up behind me. lol

 It was a great first day with my new group. I'm really looking forward to all the fun things we will do this semester.

 Sara and I went to the gym after school. I'm sorry to people who love the gym, but my god I find it so boring. I need to jump from machine to machine to keep my attention. I need this snow to melt so I can get back outside. I guess its a good alternative to not getting any exercise at all. I'll deal with it..for now..I guess.

 Well keep warm you beautiful people!
Hopefully I will have some pictures to show you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment