Tuesday 14 January 2014

I'm back!

Good evening!

 I hope you are all having a wonderful Tuesday.

 Before I get to the events of today I want to tell you about my weekend. On Saturday we had a joint birthday party for my step mom and a friend of the family. There were 13 of us, my brother (who is a chef) prepared the meal - which was amazing! And I made dessert. I made a chocolate sponge cake, with a ganache centre with german butter cream. It turned out okay. I think I kept my ganache to cold, because when I cut in to the cake the cake kinda fell apart. I was a tad ticked and disappointed. In the end it tasted fine, and people seemed to enjoy it. The lemon European cheesecake turned out really well. Very tasty. That one I was happy with.

 My brother is taking off with his girlfriend to work in London and travel the world. They left today actually! So it was a wonderful way to say good-bye to them. It was an absolute blast talking with and sharing the night with a bunch of wonderful people.

The chocolate cake for the birthday party.


Me and my little brother in our Chef whites ready for the evening.

I wish them the best of luck in their travels!! Love you Matt.


Yesterday was another Monday at school. Classroom day.

 First we had baking theory with Chef where we presented our wines and the desserts that we thought would go well with the wine. We shall see if our groups idea gets picked. Then he talked about the new trends in pastry and a little about plating and such.
 It will be fun to learn what kind of style of Chef I am. Still discovering myself in food. I'm still so new to all this and when you're in school it's just a lot of doing what you are told. Coming up with my own ideas is harder than I thought it would be. Challenge accepted though!

 Then we had human relations. A nice class. We talked about stress and time management. I have a problem with time management. There is not enough time in a day to get everything I need to get done, with school, gym, studying, typing up recipes as well as napping. Napping in mandatory. I am a person who needs sleep. If I don't get sleep people better watch out. Ask Davin, he will tell you.

 Then we had a long 2 hour break until our next class. Boring! So we all went up and pinned things on pinterest. Probably could of gotten some work done in that time...but...pinterest... I stand by my decision.

 Then we had our Excel class. Holy smokes. I am an excel dummy. I sat down and watched all the tutorials then followed the instructions in the book to get though the exercises. Our teacher (a new young Chef instructor) got his exercise that day. haha. Hands were just up everywhere. It's not a hard program, it just the wording in the book makes things super confusing.
 Instead of just saying "Now save your work in a new name." it uses all this stupid long wording. Unnecessary wording makes me look like a dummy. Gotta keep things simple for my brain.

 Chef also said he's going to rename our class "cell 15" LOL. Let me explain. In the book it said "now go to I5 and type "total." ... Almost every single person said "where is cell 15?..." Yeah, It wasn't 15. It was I-5. Something so simple, confused so many people. It was really funny.

 By 7pm Monday night I had the head nodding going and was only able to keep one eye open at a time. Dead. Davin was laughing at me and encouraging me to stay awake until 8 because If I fall asleep to early I will wake up to early. I pushed though and stayed awake until 8. Then he gently shoved me in the direction of the bedroom and I slept from 8 - 545 the next morning. It was wonderful.

 Today was our first day in the Decor room. We will be building a centre piece. We made bases for flowers. We will be making calla lilies, daises, roses and carnations.
 Then we made pastilliage, and cut those out to shapes. Once it dries we will be able to sand it down and stuff. It's pretty neat stuff. Then we made hazelnut ganache. Pretty simple day.
 The decor room is nice where its so low key and quiet. It can also get boring because of those same facts.




I'm off to go do grown up things such as laundry. Boring! Laundry is my most hated chore on the planet. I would rather scrub a toilet.

 Have a wonderful evening!


No comments:

Post a Comment