Friday 10 January 2014

We painted today, what did you do?

Happy Friday!

  Today was a pretty chill day in the restaurant rotation. We all made our sorbet. We had a lot of pink colours, someone should of made mango or passion fruit to add some yellow in there. Oh well!

 Then we put our plates together using the "wood cake", the white chocolate that I cut out and our sorbet. We made a painters plate. They were so friggen cute!!

 After we "glued" together the white chocolate easels Chef told us to grab a rectangle piece and use the coloured cocoa butter and paint whatever comes in to our imaginations. Creative freedom...panic! When you spend the last 6 months being told what to do, and then all of a sudden you are told to think for yourself..well lets just say when I heard that my brain sounded like crickets.
 I'm not a person who can think "I want to draw a dog" and successfully paint a dog. It will end up looking like a seal. I love abstract art. Colours and shapes are my thing. Okay! let go with that!

 My first painting was just me violently swinging my pain brush up and down. Splatter effect! So much fun. I can see why artists like doing this. It wasn't just random though, I really thought through the placement of my colours.

 Next It was lots of coloured strokes.

Then I thought, lets make a smiley face! Scariest.face.on.the.planet. First thing I did wrong - I used red. If you have ever seen the Mentalist on TV, It looked like the face that Red John left for him after he killed someone. So I thought "well shit. That's really scary! Lets throw some yellow in the back ground to make it more happy." *eye roll* bad painting. Chef walked by and took a glance at my art. Stopped walking. Took a few steps backwards. Focused on my red face. His eyes got wide. "..I added yellow to make it less scary..did it work?" "Sort of. It looks like a monkey now." " *blink* Thats what its suppose to be. *shifty eyes*" If Chef says it looks like a monkey, then it's a monkey.

 Then I did another abstract thingy. Either way it was fun to do :)



After we were done our painting Chef showed us how to put the plate together. The other girls cut out the cake to looks like a painters palate. They were just perfect! And we piped chocolate brushes.

Doing this plate was pretty much our day. Very enjoyable! We got to hand them out to people. I made my way to the cafeteria and found a group of elderly ladies and handed them two plates. They were so excited :)




See my creepy face on the table? It looks like spongebob squarepants!! haha

Those are all my plates and creations! I'm very proud of myself.

On the way home from school I went and bought stuff to make a chocolate cake and a european cheesecake for tomorrow. My step mom and a friend of the families birthday is tomorrow so there is a big celebration! My brother (who is also a chef) is cooking the meal and I'm doing dessert. I can't wait!

 I also bought my ice wine. I just finished doing my tasting of chocolate and wine. So good. So very very good. I may of had a tad to much wine. It is taking me a little longer to type this than normal. Lots of little typos that I need to fix - Even more than usual when I haven't been drinking!



Anywho, I'm off to bed. Work tomorrow morning then a night of fun!

Have a wonderful weekend :)

2 comments:

  1. Those are so beautiful Ashley, you make me want to go to pastry school!

    ReplyDelete