Thursday 13 March 2014

March Break

Hello world!

 This week is my March break. Such a needed break. Holy smokes.
I was completely shutting down in school. My drive was going away, I was absolutely exhausted. My mind was focused on our up coming move.

 Luckily on Friday we were only in class for a few hours. We finished up some of our baking we had started the day before. We scrubbed the kitchen down and we went over what is expected of us for our end of the year buffet.

 We are doing a buffet called 'Touch of Class.' The theme is the 1920's. Research here I come! We are in teams of two and we have a list of things that need to be included in the buffet. We are NOT allowed to ask Chef for any help or any recipes. The most help we will be getting from him is when he is looking at something and saying "thats crap. throw it out and start over." - helpful.

 This week for far has been wonderful. Even though I am absolutely drowning in boxes and lists I can feel myself decompressing. I brought all my baking tools home thinking I would get some baking done. *snort* yeah right.

 Last week was the last rotation in V and I'm very sad. That was by far my favourite rotation. Cakes, cookies, danishes, croissants, muffins. Love it. We finished the week off by making some more croissants (butter) and an upside down apple cake, and some muffins with a crumble on top....and probably some other things that have skipped my mind.

 My croissants this time around were better. I was starting to figure out the size of the triangles that I needed. Working with croissants is something that needs practice. Flavour wise, I didn't find these as good as the almond ones, but they were good none the less.

See, getting better! 



Flakey Goodness


 OH! We also made angel food cake (with a hint of lemon) and devils food cake (with apples) LOVED both of them.

 When I saw the devils food cake recipe I stopped in my tracks. Looked at Chef and said "zucchini? seriously? why in the hell is there this devil vegetable in everything!? I'm using apples.."

 I.HATE.ZUCCHINI! You wouldn't of been able to taste it, but I still don't want to use it. We used apples instead. You could of used pretty much anything because the point of the fruit or vegetable is to add moisture, not flavour. Sweet potatoes, pumpkin, apples, pears etc.
 In the end the cake was super super good. A nice dense chocolate cake.

 The angle food cake was so good. So light and perfect. Another favourite. I need to get me an upside down pan so I can make one.




 We also made an upside down apple cake. Which tasted better than it looked. I'll admit it doesn't look that great, but it was an okay cake. I think some apples baked in to the cake would of made it a little more moist.

 We made blueberry muffins with a sugar crumble on top. So good! Those I absolutely loved and want to make again.





 Thats my week in a nutshell. Nap. Pack. Eat. Watch tv. Pack. and repeat.

 We are getting new phones soon, so I'm excited to see if the quality of my pictures get better! Stay tuned to find out.

 If you are on your March break, enjoy the rest of it. If you are not....Have fun at work? :S

Ashley out. xx

No comments:

Post a Comment