Saturday 22 March 2014

holy moly, what a day...

 Good Saturday Morning!

 I've worked the last few nights so this morning is catch up.

 Thursday was a day. For me it was a horrible day. I was in such a funk and I just couldn't do anything right. I wasn't able to focus, I was messing up at every corner.

 We finished our opera cakes. I was in love with this. Very happy with how this turned out. While we were building it I was worried that my layers wouldn't be straight. Sometimes its hard to tell if you have an even amount of buttercream. So I did a little prayer to the butter cream gods.
 We put those together on wednesday, then glazed them with mirroir (shiny chocolate glaze..reflects light and such. hence the name mirroir) on Thursday. Then we needed to trim them so they were nice and even.
 We then got to do some sort of decoration on top. Chef piped one and I followed suit and copied his design for mine. They looked so pretty!! The first few I did looked okay, sometimes it takes a few turns to get a good feeling for what you are piping.

opera, just trimmed.

Let me explain what the layers are. On the bottom we have a jaconde sponge, coffee italian butter cream, another sponge, ganache, sponge, buttercream, sponge and ganache, then we covered it with the dark chocolate mirroir.

 I'm not a fan of coffee anything, but this cake is absolutely amazing. See that silver bowl in the background? It's full of opera scraps. Really really amazing. I hope when I get out of school I will drop some of the weight that I've put on. haha. My goodness, tasting all this stuff is dangerous.

 So we cut them up and then piped them and sent them down to the cafeteria for sale. Here is some pics of my piping.




 I'm so proud of them :) And my layers were not to shabby in the thickness or straightness department. *pat on the back*

 Next we finished our acadian cake. This one was a sponge cake, with a maple mousse and a caramel and milk chocolate mirroir. I had to cover mine several times because my mirroir was thinner than it should of been. By this point in the day after many many mistakes Chef was beside me helping me finish up. He's good at knowing when someone feels beaten and deflated and he was trying his best to build me back up.

 Building this cake we just broke some pieces of tempered chocolate and staggered them on to the cake. I couldn't get mine to stick, they kept falling over, my chocolate drizzle kept breaking. I just tossed my chocolate pieces down and walked away. Sometimes you just need to walk away. I did.
 I went back after a few minutes and finished it up. Not overly happy with my end product, but I finished it and the day was over. Thank goodness.


Acadian cake with caramel mirroir





 We also built another cake and that went in to the freezer and we would finish it on Friday.

 I left school and went to work where my horrible day continued. I was at work an hour and a half later than I should of been finishing cakes and orders.

 Then I went home and cried. People think "oh god..went home and cried." Sometimes you just need a good cry to release frustration, and I was so over tired I was just not functioning anymore. I'm a very self aware person and I know when I've reached my limit and I needed a break, I needed a big long time out.

 I am so close to the end of the school year ( minus my 5 week work placement) and I had for gotten how hard it is to be a student and work. As well as moving. When you're in the work force and you hear students complain about how tired they are, you kind of roll your eyes and say "god, I wish I could be back in school. easy life right there."
 It's not easy, its far from easy. It's not just going to school, its going to school, dealing with your fellow classmates (good or bad), doing assignments, studying for tests, on top of the daily kitchen work. We have night time events. Working 20 hours a week and for myself, packing up our apartment for a move in a week.

 I have a lot of respect for students, high school, college and university. This is not easy stuff but the reward at the end is completely worth it. I have been saying that to myself over and over again the last few weeks. I got this. I got this.

 I missed class on Friday because I am so behind in my class work. So I stayed home to work on all my assignments. I'm pretty well caught up and it feels good.


 I try to keep my posts light and fun, because most of the time this is a lot of fun. This was how my last few days have been and I wanted to share it with you. Life is not always rainbows and sunshine and thats okay.
 This week will be a better one! I can feel it.

 Have a wonderful weekend!











No comments:

Post a Comment