Wednesday 19 March 2014

Opera...fa fa fa faaaa yum!

Hello gang,

 We FINALLY have a nice day here, sunshine, blue sky and 2 degrees! Spring is on its way!..and now that I've said that out loud (which I did..) Next week it will snow. Lets hope not. We need nice moving weather. So everyone pray for a nice sunny day on the 29th!

 Today was a good day in school. (Sorry I missed yesterday! I had to work. This is what we did yesterday. Made sponge cake. the end. Seriously) We made opera cake, and we sort of made our cappuccino cake. The opera cake we made italian buttercream, and ganache and we layered all this goodness with the thin little jaconde sponges we made yesterday. It doesn't look very good right now because we aren't completely done yet. Once they are all trimmed and fully covered with mirrior they will be delish (and beautiful!) - I only got a picture of my coffee buttercream. It's nothing special, I was just itching to test out a food picture with my new phone!

Coffe italian buttercream, melts in your mouth! ..I just wish it wasn't coffee...

Picture is pretty decent. muuuuch better than the old blackberry. Sorry RIM..

 Next we put together our cappicano cake with coffee mousse and creme brûlée. We made it upside down in a ring, and thats in the freezer so we can flip it over and such. You make things upside down when you want a super smooth top using a mousse. My brain has trouble figuring this process out because when you are done assembling it, you are looking at a piece of uncovered cake. I have the hardest time understanding what I'm looking at and I have an over whelming urge to cover it with something to make it look finished, but if Chef says to make it upside down..you make it upside down.

 We also made dequoise - meringue with ground almonds and icing sugar and it gets piped and baked. I loooooove this stuff. It chewy and yummy. It's yet another component to another cake we will make tomorrow.

 I got to play with a little bit of sugar today, we had to do a dry caramelization to make a caramel and milk chocolate mirrior. It didn't have enough of a caramel taste for me, tasted more like chocolate. Anything covered in a mirrior is amazing so I'm sure i won't be disappointed in anyway shape or form.

 Chef scared me twice today, once by accident, once on purpose. You need to be on your toes when you're around him, thats for sure lol. He walked up behind me when I was washing my hands and said "boooo." and I SCREAMED...more like a shriek. Happens every time someone comes up behind me.
The second time I was taking a pile of dishes down the hall to the dish pit. I was rounding the corner and I saw someone looking at someone...So I knew someone was on the other side of that corner. I continue to walk around and Chef jumped out and scared me again. I only jumped a little because luckily that person gave way that he was there. If he completely succeeded in his scare there would of been pots and bowls flying everywhere. haha he's so bad but so much fun, so you can't ever get mad.

 Another fun day at school! Only 23 more school days left. Unreal.

 On the way home today I was in pure bliss (minus the pounding headache I had) the window was open (ah! fresh air!), there wasn't a cloud in the sky, I got a car wash so my car is now red again - not salt white with spots of red. Then I got to have a nap with my kitty. It's the little things in life that when I take the time to appreciate really make me happy.

 The hubby is making dinner (I'm so lucky he likes to cook or else I would starve and live off cereal) and then I think a walk is in order before I start on my excel project.

 Have a wonderful night!

 Here is a picture of my car wash experience! I love coloured soap!

:) 

No comments:

Post a Comment