Tuesday 3 September 2013

First day fun!

hello my dear blog and followers,

 Today was the first day and it went well. It was a lot of information and schedules to get through. My biggest challenge was just getting to the damn school..on time.

I got up at 6:50 this morning, don't have to get be there until 8:30..lots of time! All I had to do was take a shower, blow dry and straighten my hair and eat a little something...I still ended up leaving late. My plan was to leave by 7:45. I left at 8. No biggy, if I have to speed a touch than okay! I turned the corner from Kearney lake road on to the bedford highway and nearly shit my pants. The friggen traffic was completely backed up the whole bedford highway!! yeah I was going to be late. DAMN IT!! great way to start the first day. So after sitting there talking to myself about how driving on the other side of the road and ramming cars out of my way (I mean I am obviously the only one with somewhere important to be..these people need to get out of my damn way!) was not going to be an option, I just sat back and enjoyed the ride. I'm working on being patient. It's hard.

 I actually ended up stopped beside the newly married Heidi lynch! I was very excited about this! I bounced around waving and calling her name (no, she couldn't hear me, but i did it anyway) but nothing. She seemed to be dealing with the traffic jam in her own little way - zoning out. oh well! My lane started to move so I left her behind day dreaming. ONWARD TO SCHOOL!

I drive in to the NSCC parking lot and see a guy sitting outside in the pouring rain in his t-shirt widdling a piece of wood. interesting. keep driving...

 I get there at 8:30. phew. After getting lost..twice in the halls of NSCC,  I found my Chef (Jean-Luc) pacing in the hallway waiting for us late peeps. Ive been out of school for quite a few years (10 since high school, 7 since college round 1) but being one of (there were 3 people behind me) the last people in to a class room sucks! you can feel everyones hot eyeballs staring you down and sizing you up. But I survived that part.

 Now, my teacher. He is a french man, and when I say french I mean FRENCH. Very thick accent. He has a great sense of humour which is going to make this year so enjoyable. He got lots of laughs out of us. He's been teaching at the college for 18 years, and is so so talented. I can not wait to learn from him. He gave us a low down about the industry, the wages, the hours, the pros and cons. Did you know that a pastry chef starting out works their fingers to the bone, usually 12 hours a day for a whopping 24 thousand a year? I thought a few of the people in my class were going to throw their hands up and yell "I'm out!" when they read that. But you don't get in to this industry for the money (or lack there of) you get in to it because you have a passion for food. And IF you are good you will slowly work your way up to a decent salary. Thank god for my husband and his full time job! phew.

 We are going to be doing so many events, charities. I cant wait. Some you have to sign up for, others he hand picks his most talented. My goal is to be picked. Our first treat of the year is a winery tour next week! HOLY HELL YES! We get to learn to pair wine and chocolate together. How many other people get to do this at their work? I know you are jealous, It's okay to be.  We will be going with Boulanger, and culinary. But I believe our bus for pastry will be going to Avondale Sky and Luckett vineyards. I am over the moon excited about this! I will try my best to refrain from getting drunk while on this field trip. *fingers crossed*

 JL (Jean-Luc) Said we will be doing events on Sundays then said "Life sucks, and then you die! buahahaha!" LOL. Bring.it.on.

 We start in the kitchen next tuesday. With every monday being our communications and computers course. We will be put in to groups and we do a 5 week rotation, doing something new every week. Chocolate room, sugar, breads..and something else..and something else...

 On my way out of the school, I stopped in to the YMCA, to find out that a gym membership costs a whopping 17 bucks a month for students. Hells to the yes! I refuse to let this year and this program make me fat..ter. Bring on the pool. Ill pass on the weights for now, to heavy.

 We go in tomorrow to get our tools and uniforms. Can't wait! I think pictures of me modelling my new outfit will be surfacing soon...stay tuned.

2 comments: