Monday 9 September 2013

First full day of classes!

Happy Monday!

 Today was my first day of having to be at the school at 730. It wasn't so bad. I think I will survive this...until winter hits. I can see me changing my tune when its snowing and cold.

 Anyways! Today was our first full day of classes. Our first one was Baking Theory, which is taught by jean-luc (pastry) and Larry (Boulanger). Today was pretty simple, we were showed equipment and we have to know the names. 98% I know, just have to learn a few..they have french names. I'm not french. Thus...not understanding. OH! haha. Get this, when "mixing bowls" came up it had the french word underneath it.. "cul de poule" know what that means in french? CHICKEN ASS! haha chef had a good laugh when that came up. "And I don't know why that french term is there because it means chicken ass in french.." we all thought it was funny.
 Did you also know that another word for 'melon baller' is "Parisienne scoop". I will be calling it a melon baller. But it sounds fancy doesn't it?

When we got to the fridges he pointed out a walk-in-fridge and started giggling to himself. He said (you have to say it in a very thick french accent) "now, when you go in to a walk in fridge and the door closes behind you. DO.NOT.PANIC. Don't start running around screaming and crying (picture him failing his arms and running in circles), don't knock things off the shelves in panic. There is a knob. push. *insert pushing movement*..."push..push..push". I had a student last year who got locked in and she started freaking out and when I opened the door she was standing there bawling (picture him acting like a crying teen)..she was having a moment. So remember to push the knob guys, okay?"
 And then this went in to a story about the time he panicked because he got locked in a tanning bed lol. He was very scared he was going to turn in to a puff pastry right then and there. haha. a quote from his tanning bed story "and I thought holy shit! This thing is going to turn back on and I'm going to be done for."

OH! and Larry the Boulanger teacher put me in somewhat of a headlock today! haha. We have a german guy in Boulanger (Boulanger and pastry come together for classes on mondays because they are semi small classes) and when I mentioned that I was born in Germany Larry got all excited and started asking me more questions "where were you born?" "Lahr." "seriously!? when?!" "1985.." He then ran over to the front of my desk and grabbed my hands and was shaking me and i said "my dad was in the military.." "what did he do!!?" ..i went blank..."was he a cook!?" *slow head shake no* "yooouurrr blushing!" "haha well yeah I am!" Then he wrapped his arm around my head (gently..he didnt hurt me) and said "oh god, this year is going to be fun!" haha, never a dull moment!

 So we got through all those and we had someone from the school come in to talk to us about creating a respectful working and learning environment. It was nice and refreshing, I'm so sick of working in places that are so negative. Talking behind your back. Not willing to listen and be respectful of others opinions or things. I just hope my classmates were listening as well as I was.

 Then comes our communications course. I think I'm actually going to like this one! Our instructor Amy is wonderful. We will be working on our portfolios and such in this class. I'm super excited to make a portfolio! I made one in college (round 1) and loved it! And making a portfolio of your sweets and work to show off to the world? ah! I can't wait. Amy, is actually a sommelier (a wine expert, for those of you who don't know...or if i spelt that wrong) . I think that's so cool! I would love to do that! Maybe that's something to look in to for the future?
 At the end of the class we took a personality test. I can't wait to see the results of this. I turned to my new friends and said "so if this comes back and said WARNING! PYSCO!..you will still be friends with me right? lol" They said yes, so its all good. I'm fully expecting to see a note on the bottom of my test saying "don't allow Ashley to have knives or anything pointy or sharp" haha. We shall see!

 You will all be happy to know that my lunch did not kill me and that I got to eat today! WINNING! If you don't know what I'm talking about refer back to my "BACTERIA EVERYWHERE" post. It will explain why.

 After lunch we had our computers course. It is what it is. Computers. I'm going to challenge out of it. If I pass the test then I don't have to sit through that section of the class, which would be awesome! although, the chairs they have in there are super comfy so if I'm feeling especially lazy I might stick around.
OH! I got a laugh out of the class today. I need to start thinking before I speak..I really do. When teacher was talking about Thursday (our winery tour) he asked "whats the best part about a winery tour?" and I blurted out "DRINKING!" haha. He said "no. lunch!" . I still think hes wrong on that one.

I am absolutely loving school so far. Made some friends, Love the instructors, Love NSCC in general. I feel so comfortable there already. Bring on the kitchen work!

 I'm so excited for tomorrow I can hardly contain myself!

See you on Tuesday!
Ashley out.

No comments:

Post a Comment