Wednesday 25 September 2013

No, this is not JUST a cinnamon bun..

Good day!

 Today was day two in bread. We first had to make more white and whole wheat rolls for service. Easy peasy! Then we got to play with the doughs we made yesterday! Yes!
 First we played with our brioche *drool* It was still nice and soft, and because of all the butter it was easy to roll out. I need some serious practise in rolling shapes. I can't roll dough in a circle and I can not make rectangles. I can make a semi circle, a half rectangle half circle and what look like places on a globe...but not a straight out rectangle or circle. It's actually very frustrating. I know exactly how it should be rolled to get said desired shape, but it just doesn't want to work for me. I think It might be in the pressure I use on my rolling pin. I'll get it eventually.
 I EVENTUALLY got a shape I could make work, then we spread pastry cream on it (YUM!) and sprinkled raisins on it. Looking at the picture I took I think I was a little stingy with the raisins, It probably has something to do with the fact that I don't like raisins. So I feel other people probably don't either. I also need to learn to roll my dough a little tighter. If you don't, when they cook the middle of the bun takes off shooting for the sky! They end up looking like something out of the 'Cat in the Hat'.
 When they came out of the oven and we iced them Chef came over and said "Really Beautiful ladies! Perfect Brioche, just like mom use to make!" - man that felt good! Then he ate it. :)
 I brought one of these home for davin and he gobbled it up right away! Loved it! He wouldn't let me take a picture of him enjoying his treat to put on my blog..What a party pooper eh? Picture or not It was nice to see him enjoying it so much. Makes me proud :)

 Next we did our Zimt Brotchen! This one I was going to eat myself. No sharing!
This was much harder to roll out then the brioche. It had a lot more elasticity in it so when I rolled it out attempting to make a shape it would just bounce back. Again I eventually got it..sort of..ish. haha.
 This one we filled with a butter, cinnamon mixture. I rolled this one much tighter but the middle of some of my buns were still trying to make a run for it. So I ate them. Let that be a lesson to my buns in the future! (thats kind of a weird sentence - isn't it?)
 Those were delicious! The lemon zest in the dough was a beautiful fresh addition. I would love to make those again.
 Want to know what's so awesome about being a grown up? You can stand there with a Zimt in one hand and your lunch bag with vegetables in it in the other. And you can make the decision to put your lunch bag away and eat the treat for "lunch" (1030 am break). It's a good day when you can make decisions like this and get away with it! I had a salad yesterday - It all balances out.

 Tomorrow we are making Kaiser rolls so I made the pre-dough. Then we made more brioche dough for tomorrow (almond brioche!! mm) .

 OH! we also had a little treat today. The cook chef kept bringing plates over for Jean-Luc to try, so naturally I hovered around until he said I could try some lol. Dad use to call it "baby bird syndrome." You stand around with your mouth open enough, someone will put food in it. It worked for me as a child and it works for me as an adult - don't fix whats not broken!
 Anyways, let me get back on track here... The food was delicious! The pasta I tried was super yummy. There were so many sea food dishes though, whats the deal with people and seafood? ewies. Chef says that my group will get to go have lunch in the dining room next Wednesday, I'm really looking forward to it! Lets hope there is something on the menu that I will like.

 I stayed around after school to practise some piping. We have a skills test at the end of December and I refuse have things that look like crap! Chef said I was doing really well, but if I want to get the flow down that I practise on paper to just get the feeling for some of the designs, which is a great idea. He won't be picking people for skills until January, so I really want to get myself on the top of his list by then. I want this so bad I can taste it! A few other people stuck around to and we were all chatting in the decor room getting to know each other. People had no idea I was 28. They were guessing 21..22..Yep, that felt good. Bless their little souls.

 Oh haha. A little funny story. This morning chef was doing a demonstration about sponge cake. After he was done he put it in the oven to bake..around 7:45. Then we got in to our groups and got to work. At the end of the day (around 12:15) when our group was going through our cleaning list we got to the part where we had to clean the deck ovens. I lift the door to the bottom oven and see his cake still.sitting.there. haha. I go get Jean-Luc and say "ah, chef? Your cake is still in the oven.." " haha holy shit.." he goes over and takes it out and its just a nice brick of hard hard dark cake. I tapped it and my finger cracked the top of it haha. Chef said he was going to turn it in to a toy for his dog - I don't think he was kidding lol. He said "oh well! *tap tap tap* I completely forgot about that one. ah, fun times!"      - Class is so much fun!

That is my night in a nut shell!
 oh. Please excuse my appearance in the last picture. Sweaty and red is my kitchen look lol

Brioche ready for the oven
Baked Brioche rolls! 

mmmmmm


Zimt. German cinnamon buns.
Nice and toasty warm


It.was.delish!


No comments:

Post a Comment