Tuesday 24 September 2013

Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' Rollin'

It's Tuesday!

 Hello everyone. Today was my first day in bread. The friggen kitchen was absolutely stifling hot, just standing there you were just sweating buckets. The fans aren't working and the contractors that are working on it are in no real rush to get anything accomplished. If they had to work in that kitchen I can bet you the fans would be working the next day. Chef kept telling us to drink water, some of us were looking tipsy.. I could of passed out today. Hopefully tomorrow things will be a little cooler for us.

 I'm loving the bread rotation so far. I don't eat much bread but It turns out I love making it. I never would of guessed I would like bread..amazing what you learn about yourself!
 So far today we made white rolls, whole wheat rolls, zimt brotchen, and brioche. We had to have the rolls ready for lunch service for the restaurant, the Zimt dough got put in the fridge to relax so we can roll it out tomorrow for German cinnamon rolls. The brioche dough also got put in the fridge for tomorrow just because its such a high fat dough - its a very sticky and loose dough. So that needs time to rest.

 It was my first time rolling little dough balls by hand. I was good at it! It was no where near as hard as I thought it would be. I even did double handers! (one ball in each hand rolling it at the same time)
 The whole wheat was the same process, only we had to cut each ball in half by rolling our hand through it to make 2 little balls - They were so cute!! I was squealing with delight while making these. Some people think I'm weird because I get so dang excited over these things. I can't help myself. It is very exciting to see your little dough babies grow.
 The Zimt Brotchen was such a nice dough. It has some lemon zest in it - The cinnamon buns will be beautiful!

 Now to tell you about my love affair with the brioche dough. OH.MY.GOD. I love this dough to the moon and back. Its a very high fat, high egg dough. So it takes a long time to make. You put all your ingredients except the extra fat (in this recipe it was the bakers margarine) in the mixer. You mix it for 5-7 minutes and its just a gloopy mess. You start adding chunks of the margarine and let it go for another 7-10 minutes until it comes together and starts to pull itself clean from the side of the bowl. When I took the dough out of the bowl - oh my god- the texture. It was so soft and so gooey, but it didn't stick to your hands. I wanted to roll it out and wrap myself in it. I'm seriously not kidding lol. I didn't want to wrap it up to put it away, I just wanted to touch it over and over. Everyone that walked past me I would stop them and say "omg touch this! isn't it beautiful!?" - Weirdo. I know. For some people its cashmere, turns out for me - its brioche dough lol.

 My husband is very excited for us to have a bread making day. I need to buy some fresh yeast from Jean-Luc. I just need to do some serious math so I don't end up making enough bread to feed a family of 100. Our recipes are so big.

 We were both craving something cakey tonight so we stopped in to timmies to grab a donut. DON'T JUDGE ME! we had gift cards..it was free! After I ate my donut I looked at Davin and said "I feel like I just cheated on myself.." I feel so much guilt eating frozen baked goods...I should be making them! But when a girl needs a quick sugar fix it will do..I guess.

 Tomorrow Chef says he wants to talk to everyone who wants to do skills. I'm wondering if hes going to pick people yet? or if hes going to give us some work and see where everyones skills are.

 Well enjoy some pictures of our rolls!
Mixing dough! 

Whtie rolls. Aren't they beautiful! 

And yes, they were al delicious as they look. 

Whole Wheat rolls directly out of the oven. 

No comments:

Post a Comment