Monday 23 September 2013

It will give you the shits?...

Happy Monday my dear followers!

 Today we were back in the classroom, I'm torn on how I feel about Mondays. I love being in the kitchen but some of the classes we have are super fun. First thing we have is our baking theory class.
 We did our test on what we learned last monday, which was Flour. I did..okay. I think. I was really sick all weekend and didn't do as much studying as I should of (I know, bad ashley!) BUT in my defence its hard to study when your head is spinning and you are so tired you fall asleep face down in your binder and drool on your work pages. I still think I passed though. Just missed a couple questions.
 We got our test back from week 1 (the equipment test) and I got 100% on that one! *high five to myself!* . My friend tried to give me a high five but I still have my cold so I gave her a high elbow. Gotta keep the germs at bay.

 Then it was Chefs turn to teach us about Sugar and sweeteners. mmm Sugar.
We learned where sugar comes from. Sugar beets and sugar cane. Did you know that only 20% of sugar in Canada comes from sugar beets. Now that might not be EXACT - Don't go googling that or anything. Just passing on what I was told. Chef is pretty wise though, So I believe him. He says the sugar from beets is very..tart?..umm..doesn't taste good. Thats why we mostly get our sugar from cane.
 When I went to China we would go to the market when we wanted something sweet and you could get a length of sugar cane cut for you. It was go good. You would bite in to it and chew all the yummy sugary goodness out of it then spit out the...the...chewy bit. It was sort of like chewing on soft wood. I believe I've seen sugar cane in superstore in the produce section. Might have to pick some of that up next time I'm in there.

 We learned what sugars are hydroscopic (attract and retains water to keep the product moist). We learned about invert sugar also known as, Trimoline. We learned about Molasses..We learned about EVERYTHING. I have sugar on the brain.
 But the best part of class was when he started talking to us about Isomalt. Now this is a sugar that is made from Beet, it only has half the calories of regular sugar (SCORE!), Its more resistant to humidity and it has a great shelf life. Bakers don't use Isomalt in regular baking in place of sugar. It's not really made for that. Its more used for sugar pieces and art. THEN he said this "This is not a sugar you want to consume lots of, you know why guys? Because it gives you the shits!" Then he started singing a song about diarrhea. HILARIOUS! So there is your life saving tip for the day. If you are ever out and someone offers you more than 50 grams of Isomalt - just say no. You will regret it.

 Then he gave us a demo of caramel and the stages of crystallization. Where he yet again blew us away and stuck his friggen hands in boiling sugar lava. I think he likes showing off a little. He did at one point end up screaming like a choir boy... A tad slow on the second dunk in to the cold water I'm thinking. I don't ever see me testing out where my sugar is by doing that. But you never know, I might grow bigger balls then Chef and do it before the end of the school year. Thats my goal..I'm going to write that down.

 Speaking of goals! On to communications class!
I love this class. The teacher is just a little bouncy ray of sunshine, it rubs off on ya. Today we were working on and talking about goals. Where we want to be in five years. I actually had a really hard time answering this question. I could write down what I would like to accomplish in five years, but to just say 'in five years I want to own my own business in...cake design..' - I can't do that.
 So I called her over to talk to her about it and she said that it's perfectly fine. In the end she was laughing, she said "your a J, aren't you?" (see post about Myers Briggs personality test) and I laughed and said "sure am!." apparently, my personality traits come in to play here and about why I couldn't answer this question. It was really interesting. The class is so nice because she recognizes that no two people are/can do things the same so everything gets adjusted to suit you and to make you successful. I absolutely love it.

 We were also talking about how failure is a HUGE part of success. This is something I have ALWAYS struggled with, even as a child. Failure was not an option. Feeling bad about myself was not an option. So I would never do things I thought I couldn't do. I quit things before they got to hard which forced me to live in a very small bubble. Not very fun. She put a quote up today that she has carried around with her on a piece of paper for, I think she said, 7 years.

 "It takes as much stress to be a success as it does to be a failure" - Emilo James Trugillo.

This is beyond true. That's why I am so glad that this pastry experience has come at this point in my life. I've grown, I've matured, I've gained confidence in myself and I've learned that failure is just a part of life and it's best to just learn from it and try it again.
...Don't get me wrong. I will cuss and swear when I mess up - I don't like to fail, But its not crippling anymore. It feels good!

 Then we had computers. We are all in the process of challenging out of the course. This course, I'm not a fan of. I know how to use word, email and excel. LET ME OUT!

 I also marked all of my tools with very pretty cupcake duct tape. Everyone in that class has the same tools so things are getting mixed up - no one will sneak out with my stuff now! muahaha!

Anywho, time to call it a night.

See ya's tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment