Tuesday 29 October 2013

chocolate affaire week!

I love chicken salad.

I mean, HI!

 So! This week is very exciting! We are preparing for Chocolate Affaire. We met Chef in the lecture theatre where he gave us "handouts" - I would call it a small book. The recipes alone are 24 pages. The class is split up in to two teams of 12 and then within those teams we get grouped in teams of 2. I'm working with Sara! If she doesn't kill me before the end of the week I will be surprised. I tend to take over and boss people around lol. I'm a natural born "leader"...or a control freak. Lets go with leader. Sounds better.

 I got very upset today. I left my chef hat in the Lab while we were in the lecture hall, and when I came back it was gone. Who in the hell steals someones hat? I am still very bitter about it. I'm going to start tying strings to all my stuff, people can't be trusted. I finally got my spatula back today that went missing a month and a half ago. Even though my name is carved into my tools someone still took it and marked it as their own. Drives me absolutely crazy. If something doesn't have my name on it, I don't take it. What a concept eh?

 Every time I look through my booklet of recipes my Christmas baking list gets longer! So exciting to have so many things to practice. The only things that are annoying is when you have a recipe within a recipe. When you need to make for example a Chocolate Tia Maria Cream. You need anglaise to go in to the cream. So before you can even make the cream you need to make an anglaise. Doable, but adds some time on to something that is other wise pretty straight forward.

 We made Chocolate Tia Maria. Which includes a sachet sponge and chocolate Tia Maria cream. Can't wait to put that one together tomorrow!

 We also made a Rougeur! I looooooooove this thing. First we made a dacquoise. Its essentially ground almonds mixed with meringue and piped in a spiral circle and baked. It comes out nice and golden brown and chewy. amazing. To get a chewy meringue you need to have equal parts sugar to egg whites. To get a crispy meringue you need more sugar than egg whites. Learning is fun! :P

 Then we made the "Glacage." Now I don't know if this is a typo..or if its French. But its a glaze. Its an amazing raspberry thingy that we will be pouring on the top of this little Rougeur creation.
 Next we made a white chocolate and raspberry mousse! Hells yes! Then we piped that in between the layers of the dacquoise. I think I could make this one at home. I might be able to pull it off.

 We had to put this in the blast freezer to cool down, but the cooks had been in our kitchen to cool down their smoked salmon and the freezer stunk! I didn't want my mousse tasting like smoked salmon, so Chef told us to take it down to the shipping and receiving freezer. Its a huge walk in freezer that is..well..freezing..We walked in and the only words that came out of my mouth were "oh my god! my nerperls!" hahaha. funny. You could cut glass with your girly chest parts! chilly!

Unfortunately those are the only two things we made today. Each thing has 3 different components to it so it all takes a while. This is going to be a stressful week for Chef because we are all doing something new and we all need help - all the time. He is running around like a mad man! Lets hope I don't mess up to badly.

 Take Care my lovely readers!

OH! Chef also showed us the World Chocolate Masters Competition thats going on in France right now. Absolutely amazing stuff! Please check it out!

http://www.worldchocolatemasters.com/en/

Sara piping our mousse on to the dacquoise.

My little seat thief! I got up to get my phone and when I came back, My seat was taken. The nerve. This is why it takes me an hour to write a blog post. 

No comments:

Post a Comment