Wednesday 9 October 2013

First day in Pastry

Happy Wednesday!

 Today was my first day in the pastry rotation. I'm liking it so far! Today we made sponge cake, both chocolate and vanilla. I really like making sponge cake, Its super simple. I love the fact that you have to perfect your eggs and sugar because thats the only thing holding up your cake, there are no leavening agents it in. Just sugar, eggs, flour and vanilla. Simple!
 I only got pictures of my chocolate cake, but its not iced or anything so its not all that exciting yet.

 What else did we do today...hmm. Oh we baked our pear lattice things! They look so pretty and were freeking delicious! Really super yummy. We also made pastry cream, Pecan pie filling, and lemon cream. All of which are sitting in the fridge waiting for me.  Getting everything ready for the week! I'm excited for what's to come. The first day is usually just a lot of prep - not really making a whole hell of a lot.

 Then after class I went and sat in front of the computer for hours retyping my recipes and procedures. The hardest part about this little daunting task is 1. Trying to peel my pages apart lol they are usually stuck together. 2. attempting to read my chicken scratch writing and half thought through notes. Chef talks fast sometimes and you try to keep up with him and just get the main points down. It makes sense at the time, but the following week when you are typing up the recipes... jesus murphy. I was confusing myself attempting to decipher my own notes.

 I'm getting very excited for Christmas, I'm trying to figure out what to make for the family! I'm leaning towards tea biscuits and a fruit tart with vanilla pastry cream. Then I have to make something for my church auction! That is always a blast and I'm so excited to be able to contribute something to it. I'm just having a hard time deciding what to make.

 Its a short post tonight, I am absolutely exhausted and ready to crash. I even went to bed at 9:30 last night.

 hahahaha! I just re-read what I wrote and I wrote Christmas instead of Thanksgiving. I'm going to leave it like that - just because I can. But to clarify, I am excited for THANKSGIVING..not Christmas. Not yet anyways.

Have a lovely evening my beautiful blog readers.

Pear puff pastry

mmm. Then we cut it, and sprinkled it with icing sugar.

My chocolate sponge

An example of a recipe that is pretty clear..

One that confused me (see all the arrows?) Please excuse the stains and chicken scratch writing lol

This is how it SHOULD look. Nice and neat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment