Monday 28 October 2013

Halloween cookies!

Hello Blog world!

 I am going to be combining last friday in to today. Come friday things get nuts and unfortunately for me the last few weeks my blog has been suffering because of it. I am trying my best to keep up with this, and I usually do - It might just take me a few days to catch up!

So friday. We finished our kitchen lab testing. We iced and decorated our cookies (so much fun! Can't wait for christmas time!) Chef also pulled each of us aside for our one on ones. He said he is impressed with how I'm doing and has nothing bad to say. I'm neat and clean and I make a great product. He would just like me to get a little faster. That's fair. I'm not the fastest in the class but I am by no means the slowest either. I explained to him that I need to take my time and go slow when I'm trying something new because I really need to have time to think every step through and to make sure that I understand the whole process. I unfortunately second guess myself sometimes which makes me stop what I'm doing... I need to stop second guessing myself. Mistakes are going to happen and its best to just be confident in myself and push forward.
 My marks are good, I'm averaging an 85-90% in all my marks (classroom and lab.) Very proud of myself! I told him I'm very happy with my decision to take this course, I can't imagine being anywhere else and I am so exited for whats next. He asked if I had any ideas on where I wanted to do my work term..I don't yet. I can not pin point that one thing that I want to focus on. I am loving plating desserts though, so maybe a hotel or restaurant? I am also passionate about local ingredients so possibly a place like 'edible matters'? I need to start figuring this out.

 On friday we had to do some chocolate work that we would use for our cakes today (monday) unfortunately for me by the end of the day I was absolutely exhausted and drained. I was so sick of tempering chocolate by hand (and I wasn't the only one doing it, my other group members were) and If I had to roll another conay (parchment cone)  I was going to throw a fit. I was trying to pipe some trees (they looked more like distorted angry lobsters) and out of frustration I tossed my conay (which was leaking and falling apart, so i was covered in melted chocolate) on to the table and let out an "ahhooooo!!" Chef came over and did a tree for me and told me to make mine thicker - I glared at him with my super angry eyes. haha. I was in such a pissy mood I was ready to go all hulk and destroy the kitchen. "A little cranky there are we ashley?..." "YES!" haha. I managed to get more trees done and finished my chocolate work. Thank god.

 Then I came home and napped. Napping is essential to my life...and sometimes other peoples. I will take you out when I am tired and cranky. Ask Davin..

 Then the weekend came and I worked. On Sunday however Davin and I got to go see a movie together! He wanted to see gravity so we did. It was good - Davin LOVED it. I won't go in to detail about it for you folks that have yet to see it. But It was good, I think i would watch it again.

 Monday: I slept through my alarm (surprise! I mean who wouldn't when your alarm goes off at 5:30 on a monday morning..)
 Oh! Today when we got to the lab all our cookies were laid out. Chef had a tray with a bunch of ones he liked the most out of the whole classes...I had two of mine picked! hells yes! Super pumped!
 
Today we were suppose to be in class but we needed to finish our cakes so we spent two hours putting those together. Icing the cake was easy. A messy top (to look like ground) and a combed side. Then came my nightmare. Sticking chocolate on to other pieces of chocolate without everything breaking or melting on you. I had both happen to me. I broke pieces and I melted other pieces with my fingers. I snapped my house right in half so I rushed to make another one. Got that done and in the fridge to set. Then I had to put my trees on...snapped a few limbs off (I wasn't to concerned about the trees)
 I somehow eventually got it all put together with only a few stompings of my feet and swearing. Chocolatiers have my respect. This is very hard, technical work. Unreal.
 In the end It looks good, My cake looks good! The pictures don't do it justice, Its a little hard to see all the parts because its dark chocolate.

 After that we rushed up to communications class. Interesting as always.

 Now I'm eating a vegetable sandwich, doing laundry and my blog and am about to go get some quick shut eye before I have to go to work. No rest for the wicked!

 This week is going to be a challenge, the chocolate affair is this weekend!! So excited! Here is some info about it :)

Have a great night!

Chocolate affair

My halloween cookies! 




Very proud of my work! 

My finished halloween cake.Fences, tomb stones, ghosts, bats, house, moon, grass, cat, trees. Its hard to see it all..




No comments:

Post a Comment