Tuesday 1 October 2013

Good bye Bread rotation!

"Happy" rainy day.

 I'm not happy today. In fact I was in quite a mood today. Makes getting through school harder when you feel like this. I'm mad, so I'm not fully focused and I make mistakes which makes me that much more mad and frustrated. Luckily I was able to have a nap and Ive had supper so my mood is coming around.
 Hope you are all feeling better then I did today.

 Today was the last day of our bread rotation, well..until we circle back around in 5 weeks. I had a good time in bread. It was fun, I learned a lot but I'm not a big bread eater - It doesn't excite me (except for brioche dough *drool*) So I'm really looking forward to the next rotation! Puff pastry, oatcakes, cupcakes, muffins.. yummy yummy treats!

 Today we had to make rolls for service - yay. Pretty simple work. Then we made milk bread. We have made this once before when we first came in to the kitchen 3 weeks ago. Then we made that big braid, remember? Well today we made a bunch of little braids! I like making those.

 Then we made corn bread. This was not your typical corn bread that just gets poured in to a pan and baked then cut in to squares or what not. I made a boo boo when making this. We got all our ingredients ready, but It was a different method then we have done before. We did the sponge method with this recipe, which means you make a "sponge" - Its sort of like a pancake batter with all your wet ingredients and yeast. Then you put it aside for an hour to double in size then you add the second part which the rest of the flour and goodies. I accidentally added my salt to the sponge - thats a big no no. Salt kills yeast and stops the fermentation process. I was so mad with myself for doing this because Chef had just explained why we don't add the salt. So I had to tell him I made a mistake and he said to just leave it, It might not rise as high and it might take longer - but we were still going to use it. He hates waste. I don't blame him. oops. Luckily I was not the only one in my group who made this mistake - made me feel a little less shitty.

 Then I almost had a freeking heart attack. We put our bowls of sponge batter over on the bread rack. Now this bread rack and me were not friends today. This thing is placed between the wall and the stove (nice and warm! perfect for yeast to rise) Now I have never really closely inspected this rack, but today I learned that there is no back to this thing. I was pushing the bowls in more towards the back and I hear "CRASH!" - My.heart.sinks. Our sponge..holy shit. I'm looking all around the bottom looking for a puddle of cornbread sponge, I can't find anything. So I pull the rack out and I see the bowl. Its labelled "Ashley" - A little relief. Its mine. By the grace of god and the bread lords this metal bowl full of goo has landed flat on its bottom in another large container. It was perfectly fine. So I filled my group in on the fact that that god damn rack has no back - so be careful. I'm glad that worked out okay, tears probably would of been following if that had spilled.

 We made these like we made cinnamon buns. Roll, fill and cut. It was neat. Davin loved them.

 Oh, this morning we also watched chef make and use tulip paste. I can't wait to use this stuff! It's also known as cigarette paste. Ever had those long cigarette looking cookies on a dessert? well this is what their are made out of. He was showing us this because apparently we have a plating test coming up - and we have to use this in our dessert. eek! I've only done chocolate and bread! We shall see how this goes.

 Time to call it a night blog wise, I need to type up my recipes and do some studying. Jealous of my exciting life? I know you are, It's okay to be. ;)

 Oh! Keep a look out, there will be a new poll question this week to do with what I'm making!

My little baby milk bread braid

Corn bread!

2 comments:

  1. Lots of us who LOVE bread. All looks good to me! Sandy

    ReplyDelete