Tuesday 15 October 2013

Thanksgiving and last day of pastry

Gobble!

 I hope everyone had a wonderful thanksgiving! We did :)

 I got all my hair chopped off this weekend. Lost over 6 inches! Long hair and kitchen work do not mix.

 I was so excited to do some baking for thanksgiving! Time to practice what I have learned. My plan was to make a pecan pie, an apple crisp, a fruit tart and some biscuits. I made three out of four.

 On Saturday night I made my sweet dough and pastry cream. I made the pastry cream with real vanilla bean. It was my first time using it and it was so good! That went off without a hitch, easy! Then Sunday night it was time to bake my tart shell and biscuits. I got this..

 No. I don't got this. What I have is a piece of shit apartment rental oven that is 50 degrees to hot and the top element is broken! So I burnt my first tart shell. Fine....
 Then I burnt my biscuits and they were also raw. It was 8 at night, I had worked all day, I was getting very tired and to put it in simple terms - I lost my shit. I threw my wash cloth across the kitchen, I started cry and I proceeded to kick the shit out of the oven. haha. I got this mad because this is NOT the first time this oven has let me down. I went in my room and cried.
 My very calm and logical husband came in and said "Now Ashley, we just need to think this through and come up with a way to fix it. There is no point to get upset. As a pastry chef you are part scientist so come up with a solution." I wish I could be this calm, I really do. I know how to fix it, throw the fucking oven off the balcony. Fixed.

 So I go out to the kitchen again and seeing my burnt product makes me more mad then before. So I kicked the oven again and threatened to kill it if it doesn't stop being an asshole. So for the rest of the night we spent playing with a thermometer and seeing how hot the oven actually is.

 I tried my biscuits again Sunday morning and they didn't burn but they were a little doughy. I'll take it. And my tart shell did turn out after I put the temp down 50 degrees. Everyone got dessert (delish!) and everyone got a biscuit. That much drama for those two things..seriously?!

  We had a wonderful meal with my inlaws. A great thanksgiving over all.

Now, back to school.

 5:30 am comes way to quickly after a long weekend. Holy crap. Brutal.

 Today was our last day in the pastry rotation, moving on to restaurant tomorrow!

 Today we made diplomate cream to go in our vanilla sponge cakes. These will be delicious. Then we made little lemon tarts with meringue on top!
 Then we used left over sweet dough to make cookies! Love.

 It was a good day. Chef was singing Eminem - You should hear a french chef singing rap lol. hilarious.

 I have to go help davin with supper. There are not enough hours in the day for me to nap and get shit done around here. This is a problem.

This is a cake that Chef made. Amazing huh?

Pecan pie, pre cooked!

Cake. Can you find the four chef did?

Choco flowers

Meringue pre baked

All done!

mmm



No comments:

Post a Comment