Wednesday 16 October 2013

First day in restaurant AND we almost killed Chef!

My little blog helper. Patches <3. She's not as mean as she looks in this picture lol
Happy hump day!

 ...Yeah I don't know why I said "hump day" I hate that saying. Everyone at school says it and its slowly seeping in to my brain.

 I hope you are all having a wonderful day so far.

 Today was the first day of our restaurant rotation. Unfortunately for our group the restaurant is closed this week so we won't be getting any orders in and get to put plates together for customers. I was really looking forward to that. poo.
 Today we did a lot of prep for the week. We made Poaching syrup and we poached some pears. I dipped my finger in the pot while they were poaching to check the firmness of the pears and I (of course) tasted some poaching liquid - holy crap. so good! This is another thing I could "accidentally" fall face first in to and be okay with (once it has cooled down that is..)

 Then we made...bo...bou...some french filling with pastry cream and ground almonds. I have no idea what its called, nor can I pronounce it properly. Chef kept saying it over and over and all I could repeat back to him was "bobo?" So I just stopped trying.
 We also made more sweet dough because we were going to be making pear tarts! And we filled them with that B something or other cream.

 Funny story of the day! We had tart rings and you have to grease the rings (for obvious reasons) so we were using cooking spray. I finish with mine and I hand it to my friend Sara. She is spraying hers on the side of the table, so the spray is falling to the floor. I walk by and say "be careful with getting that stuff on the floor, its super slippery." she replies "I'm catching most of it with my hand, it will be okay." Then we move on to other things and don't think about it again. UNTIL chef walks by, slips on the cooking spray and literally lands on our table! hahahaha. His eyes bug out of his head and he yells "holy shit!!" (you have to say it in a thick french accent - Its more funny!)  hahahaha I'm going over this scenario in my head and I have tears in my eyes from laughing. He stands back up and says "Jesus! is that from the cooking spray?" Then he touches his butt and says "I saw my life flash before my eyes, I think I need to go change my pants."
 LOL. Oh god. If Sara isn't catching herself on fire and taking herself down, she's attempting to kill someone else. Absolutely hilarious. She needs to start a blog I think. Although I can see it back firing on her. If she does kill someone and documents how funny it was - Might not end so well for her. So I'll stick to telling you about all the funny moments so she has more time to speak with her lawyer.

 I think that sums up my school day in a nut shell.

 I also have a picture today of my little blog helper! She doesn't look very pleased because I moved her from my lap. The world needs to see my special kitty :)

Poached pears

My pear tarts! 

So pretty :)




No comments:

Post a Comment