Monday 7 October 2013

Friday AND Monday, Im a slacker

Hello Blog world!

 I missed Friday - I'm so sorry! And because I missed Friday there is a problem. You see, I have the memory of a gold fish. Once around the block and I forget everything. So recalling what I did on Friday may be a challenge, but I will try my best.

 Okay, now that I have gone through the photos on my phone I remember what we made. First we baked the rest of our chocolate chip cookies. My goodness they are so dang good. I've yet to make these at home because I KNOW I will consume cookies until I hit double digits. I have a thing for soft chewy cookies - So making them at home will probably end in my chocolaty death. (that's a mental image, eh? Death by chocolate chunk cookie...)

 Then we cut up our upside down pear cakes to send down to the cafeteria. I was worried because they have been in the fridge all night - I thought they might be dry. They were delicious!! The pears were perfect and the cake was dense and moist. I can only imagine how good it would of been right out of the oven with it hot gooey butter and sugar dripping down it..I just drooled on my shirt. lol.

 Then we worked on muffins, we made mixed berry. I'm excited to play with this recipe and create different combinations of flavours. I need to ask chef how to infuse flavour from spices that cant be added as is. I think It would be just steeping it in to the milk then cooling it down. But better to ask the professional then to guess.

 We also made tea biscuits! This was my first time - no wait. I'm lying. I made these when I was working in a daycare, but they were no where as good as these were. These came out of the oven in pretty ugly shapes but they were so crispy and flaky. Oh. My. God. Chef explained to us that when you make tea biscuits, the size of the butter chunks will determine how your biscuits will look and taste. If you leave large chunks of butter (like we did) your biscuits will be very odd shapes but you will get a very crispy and flaky biscuit. If you work the butter in to your dough more you will get biscuits that hold their shape much better, but will be a little more chewy and doughy. Ugly looking and better tasting is what I'm going for! I'm planning to make these for my family at Thanks giving! I hope they turn out as well in my kitchen as they did in the pastry lab. Cross your fingers for me please.

 Then the weekend happened. We went to the Raptors game at the Metro Centre on Saturday then we went apple picking on Sunday with Davin's family. Now I am allergic to raw tree fruit. I have to carry an Epi-Pen because its an oral allergy that affects my throat. So I figured that I would be coughing and scratching with the first bite of my apple. I mean, there was no way I would be getting out of an apple orchard without biting in to one. I don't have that kind of will power.
 I ate a small one - nothing happened. I pushed my limits and grabbed another - still nothing. I bouncing off the walls excited! So needless to say that I ate 7 and a half apples before I left that place lol. Ive had 9 apples in less than 24 hours. There must be something that gets sprayed on them before they hit the grocery stores that I'm allergic to. But all I know is that I can eat apples right off the tree and I'm fine. It's been years since Ive been able to eat them, and I'm so frigging happy!! It's the little things in life :)
 I'm going to be making apple crisp for Davin this week and maybe some apple sauce. mmm fall food.

 Then Monday comes. I got my sugar test back and almost crapped my pants. How I managed to get an 84% on that test is beyond me. I guess my brain knew more then I thought it did. I'm still completely shocked. I did my Leavening test today and feel good about it. So I'm expecting a good mark for this one. It's amazing that studying actually works! Who knew?

 oh. Today lesson was about Fats. So we watched some videos about butter and shortening and how its made. So I'm trying to learn how to add videos to my blog. If I can figure out how to get them on here then enjoy!

First is the butter one.

...And I can't find the shortening one. Oh well! one out of two ain't bad!

 As always, here is some pictures of my goodies!

Pear Cake ready for sale

mmmm muffins

A sea of muffins

TEA BISCUITS!

*drool* 

No comments:

Post a Comment