Tuesday 8 October 2013

Last day in Viennoiserie :(

Greetings!

 Today was my groups last day in Viennoiserie. This makes me sad. I really enjoyed this rotation. But on to something new and exciting!!

 At the beginning of class we watched Chef make decoration sugar and use bubble paper (or French paper) It looks like parchment paper, but its been treated with some sort of acid. So when his sugar got to the hard crack stage he poured some out on to the bubble paper and it made these amazing bubbles in the sugar! It was so neat. He made a bowl out of sugar and he made triangles. I can not wait to get my hands on sugar work! I do know he makes it look a lot easier then it actually is - he always does. But I want to try!!

 Then we made Swiss Buttercream. Holy sweet mother of god. This buttercream is sinful. I always ate the really sugary American buttercream - you know the one with butter, icing sugar and if you leave it out it gets all hard and crunchy. Swiss buttercream is the complete opposite of that. Its soft and shiny and just melts on your tongue. We had some cupcakes that were a tad on the dark side so we couldn't sell them which means we got to eat them! So after we iced the good ones to be sold, we iced the bad ones and gave them out to our classmates and the Boulanger class. Then I got to try one. Now as soon as this buttercream hits your lips it starts melting. So I took a bite and swooned. HEAVEN! Then I noticed that my cupcake to buttercream ratio seemed a little low, soooooooo...I grabbed my piping bag and filled in my bite mark with more buttercream. DON'T JUDGE ME! And YES I went to the gym after school lol. I had to, Its egg whites, sugar, BUTTER and vanilla. Absolutely amazing! And we still get to make (at some point) French butter cream and Italian buttercream. My ass just got fatter typing that.

 Then we got to play around with our puff pastry, FINALLY! We cut it in half and used one for an apple tart like dessert, then we used the other half for a pear pastry thing.
 For the Apple one we had to dock the pastry and then blind bake it until it was a nice and golden. Then once it was cool we spread almond cream on it, then our sliced apples and baked it again. Then we glazed it and ate it. Delish! Looking at the apples, I thought they would be dry. I honestly expected it to be a dry dessert, I was proved wrong. It was light and crunchy and not dry at all. Beautiful.

 Then we used some poached pears to make our lattice pastry. This one turned out so pretty!! Spread almond cream again, then cut up some pears and spread them out. Put your lattice on top and seal it. I can't wait to see it all baked up and nice!

 Then after we did our deep clean I booked it up to the gym. Did half hour of walking/running on the treadmill, then did some ab work on another machine, then worked on the leg press machine (160 lbs on that one! I'm a beast!) I bragged to Davin (who is also a kinesiologist) about my weight that I lifted with my legs and he got mad at me. Apparently I'm not suppose to do that much *eye roll* - pppsh, whatevers. I'm still able to walk so it couldn't of been that much. (lets see if the pain kicks in tomorrow afternoon) Then I did more abs. Then I was done. Take that buttercream calories!

 Laundry, shower, making dinner and doing some computer work then I fell asleep. I can't make it through the day without a nap lol.

 I must go put my laundry away and get ready for tomorrow - my first day in Pastry!

Enjoy my pictures of my treats!

I made this extra big so you could see the buttercream! mmm

The first two rows are mine

The beginning of our apple tart


Lattice pear pastry

mmmm apples

mmm apples again


No comments:

Post a Comment